|Rezaul H Laskar,
Islamabad, May 14 - India is likely to thin-out troops from wartime positions on the border with Pakistan, where they were deployed after the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks, according to a media report today.
The two countries reached an understanding on withdrawing troops during President Asif Ali Zardari's visit to New Delhi on April 8, The Express Tribune quoted unnamed military and diplomatic officials as saying.
The withdrawal of troops to peacetime positions is among the first substantial overtures since the two sides resumed peace talks after a two year gap in the wake of the Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people.
A formal announcement about the withdrawal is likely when the Indian Prime Minister visits Islamabad, possibly during the latter half of this year.
"It is going to happen in September or October," an unnamed official told the daily. Political figures privy to the President's day-long visit to India said the major development was a result of talks through backdoor channels, which had been active for the past couple of years.
Officials said the Indian government had mobilised troops to take wartime positions at the disputed border with Pakistan, particularly in Kashmir, immediately after terrorists launched the attacks in India's commercial hub of Mumbai. The attacks in Mumbai were blamed on the Pakistan- based Lashkar-e-Toiba.
According to experts, in a wartime scenario, the regular army starts manning the border instead of special forces meant for protecting boundaries. PTI