Gadchiroli, Aug 6 - At least 80 inmates of a private residential school at Wadegaon village in the district were hospitalised today for dehydration after they drank contaminated water from their hostel premises, an official said.
The students showed symptoms of gastroenteritis after they drank water from two borewells in the hostel premises, following which they were rushed to a rural hospital at Kurkheda," Project Officer of the Integrated Tribal Development Project (ITDP) Digambar Mendke said.
As the school is situated near a farmland, the contaminated water from there might have found its way into the wells, he said. According to district civil surgeon Dr R S Faruqui, the condition of the children is improving and they are out of danger.
Meanwhile, Mendke said that appropriate action will be taken against the hostel management for gross negligence in providing potable water to kids. The hostel has 530 inmates. PTI